What is First in Familes of North Carolina? How are we connected?

First In Families of North Carolina, FIFNC, helps people with disabilities and their families to believe in their dreams, achieve their goals and give back to others. FIFNC was formed following a state and family stakeholders meeting at the International Parent to Parent Conference in Asheville, NC in 1994. At one planning meeting, a mother was moved to say "North Carolina prides itself on being First in Freedom, First in Flight, and it is time that they are First In Families." Hence, our name was born.

First in Families of Southern Piedmont is a chapter of First in Families of North Carolina. There are a total of 13 Chapters covering 42 NC counties. Additional funding through Lifeline Project covers the remaining 55 NC counties.

What is the Management Team?

The Management Team is a committee of community members who help manage the activities of the First In Families of the Southern Piedmont.

What are the roles of the Management Team?

The Management Team works with the FIF staff to advise and plan all chapter activities. Activities include but are not limited to:

  • Budget Development
  • Fundraising
  • Volunteer Recruitment
  • Management Team Recruitment
  • Committee Work
  • Public Awareness
  • Event Planning
  • Creating and Updating Policies and Procedures

Who can serve on the Management Team?

EVERYONE! Diversity is crucial to having a well-run Management Team. 51% of the Management Team members must be either persons with a disability or a family member of a person with a disability. The other 49% are community members (business leaders, builders, faith community representatives, etc).